Eleven die and dozens sick after eating rice at Indian temple

Rice garnished with tomato slices at a food stall in India Symbol copyright Getty Images Image caption Witnesses say other people briefly fell sick after eating rice following a consecration ceremony

11 people have died and dozens more have fallen sick after eating rice at a temple in India, police say.

About 70 folks had been admitted to clinic after eating the meals following a rite in the southern state of Karnataka.

A police spokesman informed the BBC that ELEVEN patients are in a very important condition.

Two other people have reportedly been arrested following the incident, and one well being professional informed native media that the meals might had been poisoned.

“We have been introduced tomato rice which used to be smelling,” one person who attended the ceremony advised reporters.

The rice used to be reportedly served as a non secular providing to the congregation as they left the temple.

“Lately was once the consecration rite here,” any other witness mentioned, ahead of adding that many people had travelled from neighbouring villages to wait the event.

Some have expressed shock on the news on social media, together with former Indian Top Minister HD Deve Gowda.

“Households who’ve lost their lives within the crisis should have the energy and courage to endure the pain,” he wrote in a tweet.

, , , ,