Oxfam, one in every of the UK’s greatest charities, has ruled the headlines in latest weeks following allegations its group of workers employed prostitutes at the same time as operating overseas.
Since then, the story has persisted to enhance, with the Charity Commission launching a statutory inquiry – the most severe motion it might take.
Oxfam – which has just about 10,000 team of workers working in additional than 90 countries – denies any cover-up.
Here is a abstract of the occasions so far:
Friday NINE February
The Days newspaper publishes a entrance web page article beneath the headline: “Best Oxfam staff paid Haiti survivors for sex”. The Item alleges that Oxfam lined up claims that senior team of workers running in Haiti within the wake of the 2010 earthquake used prostitutes, some of whom will have been underage. Image copyright The Days Symbol caption The Days broke the tale on its entrance page a few of the male body of workers accused of sexual misconduct is Oxfam’s then-director of operations in Haiti, Roland Van Hauwermeiren. He’s speculated to have used prostitutes at a villa rented for him through the charity. In a press release, Oxfam denies claims of a cover-up. It says the behaviour of its staff was once “totally unacceptable”. The charity says it exposed the accusations in 2011 and straight away launched an interior research. consistent with Oxfam’s own 2011 document, 4 members of personnel had been brushed aside and 3, together with Mr Van Hauwermeiren, were allowed to surrender prior to the top of the research. It says claims of underage ladies being concerned have been unproven. Symbol copyright VRT Image caption Roland Van Hauwermeiren, who denies paying for sex Oxfam provides that it had publicly introduced the research on the time. Tradition Secretary Matt Hancock orders Oxfam to hand over all of the proof to the Charity Commission.
Saturday 10 February
The Charity Fee says it was once no longer given full information about the use of prostitutes through support employees. It says it will have acted otherwise if it had recognized the entire details. In a recent story, the days says Oxfam didn’t warn different help companies approximately problem personnel stuck the usage of prostitutes. It emerges that Mr Van Hauwermeiren went directly to paintings elsewhere in the aid sector. Oxfam’s chief government, Mark Goldring, says the charity did “anything but” duvet up the incident. But he admits the 2011 record launched through the charity did not supply main points of the revelations, and best cited them as “severe misconduct”. Symbol copyright Getty Images Image caption Oxfam GB’s chief govt Mark Goldring and chair of trustees Caroline Thomson depart the department for World Development
Sunday ELEVEN February
Oxfam is hit with further allegations that group of workers on its project to Chad, also led by way of Mr Van Hauwermeiren, used prostitutes in 2006. The Sunday Occasions also experiences new claims alleging more than 120 employees from UK charities had been accused of sexual abuse in the past yr. In The Meantime, Oxfam announces new measures for the prevention and managing of sexual abuse instances. Oxfam’s chair of trustees, Caroline Thomson, says team of workers contributors have been coming ahead with “issues approximately how team of workers had been recruited and vetted” following the new media studies. Global Construction Secretary Penny Mordaunt warns that ministers may just bring to a halt funding for Oxfam if it cannot account for the way it handled claims.
Monday 12 February
Oxfam’s deputy chief executive Penny Lawrence resigns over the dealing with of the intercourse scandal. She says she is “ashamed” and takes full responsibility. Symbol copyright PA Symbol caption Penny Lawrence, who resigned as deputy leader government of the charity, said issues had been raised about team of workers behaviour in Chad and Haiti The Charity Commission, which regulates the trade, opens a statutory inquiry into Oxfam – the most serious motion it might probably take. The watchdog says it has concerns that Oxfam “would possibly not have fully and albeit disclosed” everything it knew about the claims. The Eu Fee, which gave €1.7m to Oxfam’s Haiti programme in 2011, threatens it’s able to “cease funding any spouse now not living as much as high moral standards”.
Tuesday THIRTEEN February
The president of Haiti, Jovenel Moïse, condemns Oxfam and says the movements have been an “extremely serious violation of human dignity”. A senior govt supply in Haiti confirms an research might be embarked on overseas help companies working there. Symbol copyright Reuters Image caption President Jovenel Moise condemned “sexual predator” team of workers exploiting “needy other people of their moment of biggest vulnerability”
Wednesday 14 February
Actress Minnie Driver becomes the primary well-known face to chop ties with Oxfam. In an announcement Ms Motive Force, who stepped down from her role as a celebrity ambassador for the charity, stated she was “not anything short of horrified” through the allegations. Symbol caption The advert used to be paid for by supporters rather than the charity Meanwhile, some other charity – Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) – comes beneath scrutiny as the president of Haiti requires an research into the actions of aid businesses working in his country. Jovenel Moïse, asks why MSF had repatriated 17 of its staff members. MSF said it takes seriously any reviews of misconduct.
Sunday 18 February
In a separate story on the subject of alleged sexual misconduct in the charity sector, the husband of murdered MP Jo Cox, Brendan Cox, quits charities arrange in her reminiscence. Mr Cox denies assaulting a girl in her 30s at Harvard School in 2015 but admits “inappropriate” behaviour even as running for Store the youngsters.
Monday 19 February
Oxfam publishes a redacted version of its 2011 internal file into alleged abuse by way of team of workers. it’s going to present the original report to the government in Haiti. The file finds that three of the boys accused of sexual misconduct physically threatened witnesses through the charity’s 2011 research.
Tuesday 20 February
Oxfam boss Mark Goldring and two different senior executives are hauled in entrance of MPs. The World Development Committee hears that around 7,000 folks have cancelled donations to the charity. Mr Goldring apologises for the wear done and says 26 claims of sexual misconduct were made for the reason that scandal broke.
Media captionMark Goldring: ‘We are sorry for the wear performed to Haiti and the broader help efforts’ Shop the youngsters chief government Kevin Watkins additionally provides evidence and says his charity investigated 53 allegations in 2016. He says the Oxfam scandal has been a “wake up call” for the field. In The Meantime, a former chief executive of Retailer the youngsters, Justin Forsyth, makes headlines over three claims of beside the point behaviour he won ahead of leaving the charity. He says he has “apologised unreservedly” to the 3 staff.